This spring brought a significant loss to the foundation. Our foundation ambassador, Benedict Cumbercat, lost his battle with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a common heart disease in cats. During his short lifetime, Benny raised dozens of kittens over the course of six years and showed how male cats can and do enjoy being involved in playing an important role of socialization and affection to these tiny beings that helps them learn how to “cat.” We affectionately called his love to his kittens “Benny Blessings” as the first thing he always wanted to do with a new baby was to pat the kitten on the head and start grooming it as if telling the kitten everything is going to be OK from here on out.
While not every kitten survives, what they do experience is another cat showing them affection, not just us providing human affection. The affection another cat gives to their own species is not something we can replicate, but we can provide it by simply allowing a cat in the home who wants to participate in the care of these kittens help as much as they want as long as the caretaker makes sure the participating cat is current on vaccines and has an felv/fiv test performed twice per year.
This year, we would like to give back what Benny always gave: opportunity. We are going to pay his donations made in his memory forward by providing three (3) Brinsea brooders to three (3) individual fosters who have been struggling with raising funds for an incubator of their own. Not only will we gift a tabletop incubator, but also a stethoscope to help these fosters become more familiar with learning about heart arrhythmias and heart rates that are common indicators that their kitten is beginning to fail.
If you would like to nominate a foster, please read the rules and send us an email with the following information:
- Name of foster and foster/rescue group
- Social Media handle of the foster
- Contact information of the foster/rescue
- Know that they NEED an incubator. If they currently have one, they do not qualify. This gift is specifically for someone struggling to get necessary items to succeed.
- Tell us WHY they deserve a “Benny Blessing”, we want to know all about them and the work they do for the community.
- Include YOUR name and social media handle
- You AND the foster must be following @thecatlvt on Instagram/FaceBook and The Chris Griffey Memorial Feline Foundation on FaceBook
- Foster/Rescue may not be “Instafamous.” We are looking for lesser known fosters who are in need of support and supplies
Nominations will be taken from April 25th 2021-May 10th 2021:
- Email your nomination to: email@example.com
The board will go over all nominations and reach out to the fosters in May so they can have a great start to kitten season 2021.
To learn more about Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, check out the following links:
To learn more about FATE (Feline Aortic Thromboembolism):
From all of us at the CGMFF,we thank you for the continued support!